We are launching trips again! All trips have gone out successfully, and come back successfully with really happy guides and rafters. We’re doing all we can to keep it that way. If you’d like to read our procedures during COVID, you can do so here.
Please see the below for an update on your trip, if you haven’t received an email from us yet please bear with us as we are working to send this to the trips soonest affected by this information. This information will be emailed to ALL guests with a 2020 trip booked. Thank you!
Dear AzRA guest:
Thank you for your patience during this incredibly dynamic time. We are so grateful for your words of encouragement, support of our employees and our company, and understanding as we have awaited a decision from the National Park Service (NPS) regarding reopening the Colorado River Corridor through Grand Canyon. NPS is moving forward with opening trips launching 6/14/20 and beyond.
We are leaning heavily on guidance from NPS, Coconino County, the State of Arizona, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and others as we decide how to best mitigate COVID-related risks on a Grand Canyon river trip. We want to be utterly clear: we do not believe, given the size and capacity of our rafts, that physical distancing while on our raft trips is possible. As you are aware, when you signed your Acknowledgement of Risk form (linked here), you did acknowledge the possibility of exposure to airborne or waterborne disease. In addition to challenges because of raft dimensions, there are many other unknowns, such as asymptomatic carriers of COVID and exposure to COVID during travel to Flagstaff or the South Rim. While we do believe we can take appropriate measures to reduce your chances of exposure to COVID, we cannot insulate you entirely.
Here’s what we can control:
• Thorough communication with guests and employees alike,
• Asking all participants to self-screen at 14 days and 3 days prior to the trip, as well as immediately prior to the pre-trip orientation,
• Outstanding existing sanitation and significant additional disinfection of gear prior to and during your trip,
• Adapting our foodservice and preparation to further minimize cross-contamination between trip participants,
• Providing additional handwashing opportunities, providing additional hand sanitizer, and reminding trip participants to wash hands frequently,
• Reevaluate the way we administer first aid,
• Isolate sick participants to the extent possible,
• Coordinate with the National Park Service to evacuate participants exhibiting “emergency warning signs” as defined by the CDC, and
• Train our employees on all existing and new procedures relating to COVID mitigation.
If you are a high-risk individual, as defined as the CDC (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-at-higher-risk.html ) please strongly consider opting out of a Grand Canyon raft adventure this year and rescheduling for a subsequent year. We would love to take you in future years.
If you are not comfortable with embarking on your AzRA adventure given this information, please contact the office as soon as possible.
We will amend the cancellation policy that was in place when you booked as follows:
• If you inform us before 30 days prior to your trip that you wish to transfer (move your money) your trip fare to later in 2020, 2021, or 2022, we will credit the entirety of your fare to the later year. You will be responsible for any differences in fare. In order to receive the transfer of monies, you must move your monies no later than the month of your originally scheduled trip date.
• If you have only paid deposit at this point, and you wish to transfer your trip fare to later in 2020, 2021, 0r 2022, we will credit the entirety of your deposit to the future year. You will be responsible to pay the difference for our new 15% deposit amount (see below). However, the $400 will go toward it. If your deposit is less than $400, we will not refund you the difference, we will simply transfer the $400 toward your new trip. In order to receive the transfer of monies, you must move your monies no later than the month of your originally scheduled trip date.
• If you inform us you wish to cancel (refund your money) within 10 days of receipt of this email or at least 45 days prior to your trip, we will refund you less your deposit of $400/person. While that deposit will be forfeited, we will credit you $400/person toward another Grand Canyon raft trip if you book within the 2020, 2021, or 2022 seasons. This will be added to your invoice as a discount, and you will be asked to make a new deposit at the new 15% amount. When you do choose to rebook, you will be subject to deposit and cancellation policies in effect at the time of booking.
• If you inform us you wish to cancel between 45 and 30 days prior to your trip, we will retain 25% of your trip fare. We will credit you that retained fare, less a $400 deposit, toward another Grand Canyon raft trip if you book within the 2020, 2021, or 2022 seasons in the form of a discount.
• If you inform us you wish to cancel between 30 and 15 days prior to your trip, we will retain 50% of your trip fare. We will credit you 25% of your trip fare (half of what we retained) toward another Grand Canyon raft trip if you book within the 2020, 2021, or 2022 seasons in the form of a discount.
• If you inform us you wish to cancel 14 days prior to your trip, and you can verify that you have COVID symptoms, have been diagnosed with COVID, or have been exposed to someone with COVID, we will credit the entirety of your fare to a trip in 2020, 2021, or 2022. If you cannot verify these conditions, and you still wish to cancel in this time frame, we will retain 75% of your trip fare. We will credit you 25% of your trip fare toward another Grand Canyon raft trip if you book within the 2020, 2021, or 2022 seasons in the form of a discount.
• Effective April 30, 2020, our deposit amount for any new reservations is 15% of your trip cost. If you decide to cancel, you will be required to make a new deposit in the amount of 15%, and the appropriate credit will be given to you in the form of a discount.
*If you are an international traveler or reside within a travel ban area please call the AzRA office as soon as possible to discuss your options.
If you plan to go on your adventure with us later this year and have not made your final payment, we request that you make your final payment within 7 days of today.
Ultimately, we deeply want to provide access to the sanctuary that is Grand Canyon for those who want to go on a raft trip with us given the circumstances under which we can currently offer trips. We also want to provide employment for our extraordinary staff, be fair to both guests and employees who want to opt out this year, and balance the long term health of our organization with all of these goals. The mitigations we undertake will undoubtedly change some of the details of our trips. We believe the Canyon will still be Grand, the vistas will still be awe-inspiring, the quiet will still fill our souls, the excitement of the whitewater will still be palpable, and a river trip will be as lovely as it ever was.
Given the uncertain cancellation rate, we may opt to cancel, combine, or reconfigure the equipment on our trips. If we do cancel your trip, we will inform you at least 25 days prior, and we will refund you in full if you decide not to book an alternate trip.
Alexandra and Fred Thevenin
Arizona Raft Adventures
Why hasn’t there been at least a two line update posted since May 26th? It is almost the middle of July now.
In the dark,
Bob Ange & Ruth Lukowski
The only update is that we’ve been running trips with happy and healthy guests and guides! We’re trying our very hardest to keep it that way too!
Keep going! From my experience with the office, you are doing a great job. In this tumultuous time of disease and social unrest, a trip through the wilderness of the Grand Canyon is both physically medicinal and psychologically beneficial (as always!). I would feel completely safe if I was going on this fabulous trip tomorrow!