No Barriers USA: An Introduction
In September, Erik Weihenmayer, best known as the only blind adventurer to climb Mt. Everest, tackled another historic challenge: solo kayaking the Grand Canyon, 277 miles from Lee’s Ferry to Pierce Ferry. Blind Navy veteran Lonnie Bedwell and an accomplished crew from Arizona Raft Adventures joined Weihenmayer on the 21 day adventure. Weihenmayer is one of the early founders of No Barriers USA, a nonprofit organization that believes that what’s within you is stronger than what’s in your way. Through transformative experiences, tools and inspiration, No Barriers empowers people to break through barriers, discover their potential and contribute their very best to the world. No Barriers will be a beneficiary of AzRA’s matching gift program this year. Here are three reasons to pay attention to No Barriers’ message of hope and resilience.
- Everyone has challenges. No Barriers believes that everyone has a summit they yearn to reach. For some it’s a physical goal; for others it might be more personal. But you don’t have to be an accomplished adventurer or adrenaline junkie to chase down a goal. The No Barriers
Mindset is a universal approach that encourages us all to live a life that matters alongside a community of supporters and like-minded individuals. It is the realization that we can build the vision, tools and support system to attack challenges head on.
What is the challenge that you long to overcome? What’s holding you back? No Barriers has a goal to inspire 1 million people to pledge to live a No Barriers Life. Your pledge can be as simple as choosing to meditate every day, as personal as committing to live free from tobacco, or as audacious as choosing to climb a 20,000 foot peak, like No Barriers supporter Krithika Ramen. Listen to Erik Weihenmayer’s message about choosing to live a life of meaning and impact and then take the pledge at www.nobarriersusa.org/take-the-pledge/.
- No Barriers pairs belief with action. Mindsets are difficult to teach and even harder to embrace, which is why No Barriers believes in authentic immersion experiences that push individuals outside of their comfort zones, challenging them intellectually, emotionally or physically. No Barriers offers programs for veterans, youth and people with disabilities to provide opportunities to experience the No Barriers Mindset in action.
The Grand Canyon is the perfect setting for our transformative experiences to take place. Developed in partnership with Erik Weihenmayer, the No Barriers’ Leading the Way program unites students of mixed abilities on incredible adventures around the world. Last year No Barriers took 40 students through the Grand Canyon in partnership with Grand Canyon Youth and Arizona Raft Adventures. We also provide opportunities for wounded veterans and children who have lost a parent to war to experience the healing power of the river. You can help support these programs through AzRA’s Matching Gift program. Look for No Barriers in this month’s matching gift announcement.
- Community is transformational. If you have traveled down the Colorado River with Arizona Raft Adventures you know that community is a huge part of the river experience. No Barriers believes that the people we invite on our journey are just as important as the summits we seek. That’s why we are passionate about building a community of curious, brave and collaborative explorers who are determined to live the No Barriers Life. We are honored by AzRA’s support of No Barriers and are excited to welcome you into our community. There are many ways to get involved and make a difference in the lives of kids, veterans and people with disabilities.
- Take the No Barriers pledge. It only takes a minute to choose action. By doing so you’ll join a team of innovators who will support and inspire each other on their journey. Ready to jump in? Click here.
- Volunteer or attend an event. No Barriers hosts community events around the country. Sign up for our newsletter to stay informed about opportunities in your area or register as a volunteer to support our work directly.
- We make it easy for you to have an impact. Visit our fundraise page to see what our supporters are doing in their communities and around the world, then launch your own initiative!
- Spread the word. Follow No Barriers on Facebook and Twitter. Share our stories of impact with friends and family or nominate an individual to participate.
- Donate! Thanks to matching gifts from AzRA and a generous No Barriers donor your gift will have 3x the impact when you give to No Barriers. We are a 501c3 registered nonprofit with a Gold Participant rating from GuideStar.